The following information is requested when you register your device with dhcp.msu.edu/register. This information is primarily intended for your own use, when managing your device registrations. It will not be shared with external parties, but may be used by MSU administrators to manage the campus data network.
- Full Name
Enter your full user name.
- Ethernet (MAC) Address
Enter your device MAC address. Note the following:
- MAC address format is XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
- MAC address is a unique set of 12 letters and numbers
- Only letters A through F are allowed (either upper or lower case)
- Only numbers 0 through 9 are allowed
- The uppercase letter O and the number 0 are commonly confused
- The uppercase letter I and the number 1 are commonly confused
- The lowercase letter L (l) and the number 1 are commonly confused
- The uppercase letter S and the number 5 are commonly confused
Suggestions on where to find MAC addresses for common devices can be found at https://itservicedesk.msu.edu/kb/405675
- Location of device
Enter the location where you will typically use your device.
- Description of device
Enter a description of your device (e.g. "Dell laptop", "Powerbook G4", "Big blue box").
If you are registering devices under a "role" account (e.g. a departmental id), it is highly recommended that an accurate description be entered, including a serial number or departmental tag number, if applicable.